Why this report?
This is a detailed 32-page report with factual insights into the on-time delivery performance trends of UPS and FedEx, which comes at a prominent time when there are growing supply-chain concerns before the 2022 Holiday sales kick off this week.
Being committed to bringing true visibility to the autonomous small parcel shipping industry, we analyzed shipment data from millions of packages shipped across the U.S. during the 2021 Holiday Season (Nov 26th to Dec 31st, 2021) and the Regular Operating Period (Jan 1st to Oct 31st, 2022). This report also forecasts how shipping carriers will perform during the 2022 Holiday Season.
- On-time Delivery Performance: During the 2021 Holiday season, packages shipped through FedEx faced 2x many delays as packages shipped through UPS.
- Speed did not really matter: 17.42% of parcels shipped through FedEx Overnight were delayed whereas 11.2% of parcels shipped through UPS Next Day Air were delayed during the 2021 Holiday season.
- 2022 Holiday Season Forecast
- UPS vs FedEx: Going by on-time performance indicators from the past 12-24 months, UPS is expected to outperform FedEx across all shipping types.
- Packages shipped through both Ground and Express services offered by UPS and FedEx will remain affected.
- Peak sales will happen later during the Holiday season due to budget-conscious shoppers purchasing when discounts are high.
Who can use this report
Insights in this report enable retail leaders, publications, and analysts to focus on Holiday sales and e-commerce logistics with carrier performance metrics for package delays across key states and cities, carrier service types, and retail categories. Retail merchants can leverage this report to make data-backed decisions to optimize their supply chain during the critical Holiday season and beyond.